Front Page Forums Chapter 08 Forum Jenny Jorgensen's course

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Kim Robash

As I read your book, chapter 8 really hit home for me.  I remember math very clearly growing up, the reason being is I was not good at it and didn’t understand how all these math concepts worked and related to each other.  As I grew up I did make some connections on my own, but most of the time I remember thinking, “Why am I learning this?” “What purpose will is serve me in the future?”  I had no connection to mathematics and was excited when I knew the “algorithms” because at least I could solve basic math problems. When having to apply what I had learned, that was a different story and was very difficult for me.  This chapter made it very clear how important making mathematical connections are and how important it is to teach lessons that give students an opportunity to make connections in other areas of math and to real world situations of their own.  I also like how you have added real conversations from classroom teachers who are good at their craft of teaching mathematics. I hope that with practice and using some of the techniques you offer, I will get better at teaching math to my students.

tzager
      Keymaster

Hi Kim,

Thanks for writing. It’s great to hear CH8 resonated with you. I wonder how many kids we lose because they don’t see the connections and relationships?

I have every confidence you’ll continue to grow as you teach. I hope you’ll keep me posted!

Thanks again,

Tracy

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Chapter 08 Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.