Front Page Forums Chapter 06 Forum Pictures of hands p 120

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Jennifer fairbankd

I love the pictures of the hands across pages 120-121. It reminds me of a current student in Foundations of Algebra 1. She is a freshman. She is trying so hard and making great progress this year. She adds, subtracts, and multiplies on her fingers. The other day she had an “a-ha” moment when she said “so 4+4+4 is the same as 3 times 4?” YES! I’ve done a lot of number sense with this class – estimation 180, Solve Me Puzzles, and Visual patterns every day. It is starting to pay off.

Jennifer fairbanks

On page 122, talks about giving students less and allowing them to organize and externalizations thoughts is what I am doing this year with VNPS (vertical non-permanent surfaces. I’m giving them meaty problems and letting them work in groups at the board. I love the discussions I hear. Students are writing more neatly and organizing better, making more precise graphs than they would on their own papers. They step back and take a look at their work. I give them less and they give me more, including a great conversation!!!

tzager
        Keymaster

That sounds awesome, Jennifer. “I give them less and they give me more” is a pretty amazing statement. In CH 12, you’ll get to see some VNPS in action, and also more focus on this idea of “externalizing internal dialogue.” I love that you’re jotting notes as you write here. And I totally love that you’re cool with your student using her fingers. It sounds like you’re support is really paying off. I wish she’d had that a-ha moment a while back, but I’m glad she had it now!

Tracy

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Chapter 06 Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.