Study Guide for Chapter 8
Connecting Math and the World
- Get the Math from PBS thirteen, featuring well structured, CCSS-aligned math challenges issued from professionals in fashion, sports, music, video game design, etc.
- We Use Math from BYU and Maths Careers from the Institute of Mathematics and its Applications profile math in different careers.
- Rethinking Schools, Radical Math, and Mathalicious ($) are outstanding resources for integrating social justice issues with mathematics.
Connecting Math to Math
- Principles to Actions, from NCTM, has a strong section on representations.
- Tripathi’s excellent article is here, for MTMS subscribers.
- Richard Skemp’s powerhouse article from 1976, Instrumental Understanding and Relational Understanding, downloaded from http://www.skemp.org.uk/
- A webinar I gave at the Global Math Department, in which I discussed some of these ideas.
Connecting Math to Self
- Kindergarten lesson from the Teaching Channel
- 3rd grade lesson from the Teaching Channel
- Counting Collection videos, planning templates, etc. from tedd.org