Study Guide for Chapter 12
Yuri Matijasevich and Julia Robinson
- Yuri Matijasevich’s description of working with Julia Robinson
- Film Trailer–Julia Robinson and Hilbert’s Tenth Problem
- Full movie details–Julia Robinson and Hilbert’s Tenth Problem
- Think Time and Collaborative Learning Excellent, brief video from the Teaching Channel. (2:19)
- How to Teach Math as a Social Activity video of 5th and 6th graders
- Fullilove and Treisman: Mathematics Achievement Among African American Undergraduates at the University of California, Berkeley: An Evaluation of the Mathematics Workshop Program
- Treisman: Studying Students Studying Calculus: A Look at the Lives of Minority Mathematics Students in College
- Video of groups reflecting on their work from NRICH.
- Peter Liljedahl’s website
- More on Vertical, Non-Permanent Surfaces:
- My blogpost series about building number lines in kindergarten.
- Lovely blogpost from Simon Gregg about credit for productive mistakes.
- Teaching Channel video of Laretha Todd’s class giving credit: Can You Share Who Said That? (1:32)
Chris Luzniak and Making Math Debatable:
- PBS video: Encouraging Debate
- PBS video: Get a Second Sentence
- Complete PBS series: Making the Case
- Chris’s website and blog
Resources for Mathematical Disputes:
- Christopher Danielson‘s book, Which One Doesn’t Belong? and the website it inspired, Which One Doesn’t Belong?, Crowdsourced by the #MTBoS; curated by Mary Bourassa.
- Would You Rather Math? A website from John Stevens
- KenKen from NCTM
- Video: Austin’s Butterfly: Building Excellence in Student Work–Models, Critique, and Descriptive Feedback from Ron Berger (6:18)
- More video and resources from Ron Berger and Expeditionary Learning about Critique